CNSNews — Only 8 percent of Americans say they have a “great deal” of trust in the news media, according to a new Gallup poll.
That is down from 11 percent a year ago and is a record low for the 40 years that Gallup has been polling on the question.
Since 1972, Gallup has periodically asked respondents: “In general, how much trust and confidence do you have in the mass media–such as newspapers, T.V. and radio–when it comes to reporting the news fully, accurately, and fairly–a great deal, a fair amount, not very much, or none at all?
In the latest survey, conducted Sept. 6-9, in addition to the 8 percent who said they had a “great deal” of trust and confidence in the media another 32 percent said they had a “fair amount” of trust. This combined 40 percent who were generally trustful of the media was also the lowest percentage ever.
A year ago, in Sept. 2011, 11 percent told Gallup they had a “great deal” of trust and confidence in the media and 33 percent said they had a fair amount–for a combined 44 percent who generally trusted the media.Continue Reading on cnsnews.com